Dental bonding can conceal small cosmetic flaws such as chips, cracks, discolorations, and size or shape imperfections in a relatively quick and inexpensive fashion. During your initial consultation, Dr. Louis Russell, Jr., can determine if this minimally-invasive procedure can effectively address your cosmetic dental needs. At Russell Family Dentistry in Tomball, TX, our entire team is committed to providing quality dental care in a relaxed atmosphere, giving you the most pleasant experience possible.
Dental bonding can address minor cosmetic issues such as chipped or cracked teeth.
What Does Dental Bonding Do?
Dental bonding is a versatile treatment that addresses both cosmetic and restorative needs. A tooth-colored composite resin material can be applied to conceal minor imperfections or to strengthen the structure of a tooth. Dental bonding can repair a variety of issues, including:
- Chipped or Fractured Teeth: Composite resin can be applied to mask chips or tiny fractures in the tooth, restoring it to its natural shape.
- Misaligned Teeth: A slightly crooked tooth can be concealed, creating the illusion that it is in alignment with your adjacent teeth.
- Tooth Decay: Commonly used as an effective alternative to traditional amalgam fillings, composite resin material can be used to restore teeth affected by cavities.
- Gum Recession: If your tooth roots have become exposed due to gum recession, dental bonding can be effective to protect and cover the root surfaces.
- Tooth Discoloration: Intrinsic staining that occurs due to certain medications or genetic issues does not respond well to teeth whitening. In these cases, composite resin can mask discoloration, making your smile appear brighter.
- Spacing: Bonding can help reduce or eliminate gaps between the teeth.
- Misshapen Teeth: Dental bonding can alter the shape of a tooth, adding length or width and creating an aesthetically-pleasing result.
The Dental Bonding Procedure
To determine how dental bonding can best meet your needs, Dr. Russell will conduct a thorough examination during a preliminary consultation. You must be in good oral health before you may undergo any cosmetic treatment. Your teeth and gums will be evaluated to ensure that you are free from extensive decay or periodontal disease. After a thorough assessment, Dr. Russell will make a personalized treatment recommendation based on your specific oral health needs.
Whether you need to repair a cavity or simply enhance your smile, dental bonding could be the solution for you.
Once your treatment plan has been confirmed, we can schedule your dental bonding procedure. Typically, this treatment can be performed rather quickly and does not require anesthesia. You can expect that your dental bonding procedure will follow a number of steps:
- Preparation: In order for the composite resin to bond, your teeth must be cleaned and thoroughly dried. Each tooth receiving treatment will be isolated so the material does not affect your adjacent teeth. Dental etch, a mildly acidic solution, will be applied to prepare the teeth for bonding.
- Application: The composite resin material will be applied to your teeth and shaped to blend with your smile.
- Curing: A special dental light will help cure and harden the resin.
- Final Adjustments: Dr. Russell will carefully shape the teeth, and ensure your bite has not been affected. Finally, your teeth will be polished to a brilliant, natural-looking shine.
Benefits of Dental Bonding
Whether you need to repair a cavity or simply enhance your smile, dental bonding could be the solution for you. This treatment is widely used in dentistry and offers a number of advantages, including:
- Cost-Effective: More affordable than porcelain veneers or crowns, dental bonding is a reasonably priced alternative.
- Time-Efficient: Dental bonding treatment is a relatively quick procedure and can typically be completed in one to two hours. You will be able to improve the appearance of your smile dramatically in just one dental visit.
- Excellent Aesthetics: Because composite resin is tooth-colored, dental bonding provides a beautiful and natural-looking result.
- Durability: Modern dental materials are strong and resilient, and offer long-lasting results.